Wandering Goat

Travel stuff by Miguel A. Villarreal

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Last Flight Out

Kashgar, China

So at this time last week I was hauling ass to get to Kashgar and now I'm trying to get the hell out. You've been great Kashgar, but I am starting to smell like a goat - that means I need to leave but am stuck here till the night plane unfortunately

A few more observations on the Uighurs - great people but they need fashion intervention; urban Uighur dudes in formal occupations favor the Andy Sipowicz/Homer Simpson short sleeve white shirt with tie look. Also their hairstyles are trapped in the late 70's, early 80's look, sort of like Kirk Cameron from "growing pains". And the trading - it's a stereotype, but damn these guys will trade anything, anytime, anywhere. Everywhere you go, you see crowds of Marvelous Marvin Hagglers trading goats, grain, hats, textiles, cell phones, whatever.

Next stop is chengdu - so I am deviating from the route map and instead of making the big zig back to shanghai it's a small zag to chengdu, capital of Sichuan province. The food should take an upturn although I think it's nasty humid out there this time of year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I get a view on the smells there? Goat? Dead goat? Any pigs?

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're skipping Shanghai?? Dude, I need the insider's guide by next Friday. Get on that.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home