Wandering Goat

Travel stuff by Miguel A. Villarreal

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Ascent part IV (contd again)

So I forgot to mention that prior to the climb I had put on the one pair of yet unused underwear I had (this computer is totally fucked up so I cant hyphenate or apostrophe or get any punctuation to work correctly, sorry, and the y key is mixed up with the z key) - underarmour.  I was unsure why I brought it but I knew on the morning of the climb it was time to protect this house).    It ended up helping a lot on the descent.  Anyway, after reaching the summit T called his wife, boss, and mother in that order.  I adopted the air of "is this all" and then had a bit of lunch.  The descent was  a pain in the ass and I slipped a few times and managed to stop  myself from a long slide by performing a perfect textbook ice arrest with steek, although I dont think in the textbook one is supposed to pretzel their leg behind steek, but it worked, and my 99th percentile presidential  physical fitness test  rankings in flexibility from gradeschool were validated.  

Around this point I decided that fighting gravity was a silly idea so I followed the lead of a few of the other climbers and went down the easy way....sliding down on my ass.  While not glamorous, it was a shitload of fun and a hell of a lot easier than trying to walk down the steep ridges and such, and the only casualty is a wet ass, which everybody knows I dont mind.  Even when the slope evened out a bit and my momentum faded, I cross country assskied the rest of the way using steek.  I recached the big glacier field around 10 or 11 and then avoided the worlds biggest damned crevasse (it was so big it looked  like space-time was folding in on itself) Around the last hour back when I was dragging, the following exchange ensued(typical of T and I, whose english wasnt so hot)

T- "you tired"
me- "yeah I kind of just up at 2 am and then climbed a 20000 foot mountain my man. you tired "
T- "you tired"
me ""
T'  " I take you bag"
me "yours"

So around noon or a little later we got back.  And thats the story of that mountain.  I was pretty proud of the fact that 1. I did it, and 2. did it on the cheap-amateurish way (of course not counting my 3 man support staff).  I used a north face windbreaker that I bought with Amex rewards points, a 3$ hat that I bought at Duane Reade on Pine street on the way to the Jets game a few years ago, the lead boots from hell and shitty crampons, and purple steek.  Hell the underarmour  was the most expensive thing I had on aside from the ridiculous french glacier glasses, which I would have thrown off the mountain on the principle of their being so ugly but I needed them to get down.

Most of the other groups in camp had all sorts of fancy gear and stuff like that, of which I was naturally contemptuous, particularly awful was the DAV Summit Club' - Deutsch, who had monogrammed tents, and I swear to god, climbed and hiked in formation.

SO how did I feel after it all - good I guess.  I did one of the things I set out to do and did it well enough.  Not sure  if  I will ever do anything like it again or go much higher.  Maybe Kilimanjaro as an excuse to see Africa one day, but lets face it, at only 19k feet its really kind of beneath me at this point.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mig

Congratulations on your ascent to 20,000 ft.! Fantastic!

TIO MIKE

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home