Wandering Goat

Travel stuff by Miguel A. Villarreal

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Negotiator

I don't think a visit to India is complete without getting taken by Kashmiri rug merchants.  So  I went souvenir hunting this afternoon in Madurai, looking for something small, portable, and cheap.  An hour after entering the shop, I ended up with two gorgeous 3 foot tall painted Meerakshi statues paying the number I had intended to spend in mind, cubed. (mom/dad, they should be en route to Texas at some point, I geev you very special excellent price if you want one....) I also somehow ended up with a small rug thrown in for good measure, which I actually got a decent deal on, probably because I overpaid for the statues. But they kick ass, and considering the money I've saved here on domestic transit - I've traveled at least 1000 km or more in India overland, generally for not more than the price of a subway ride each way - they were worth it. Plus they're wood, so I can eat them if necessary.  

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mig,
If you will make me an excellent price, I feel sure we can make a deal. I think the fact that I can leave these tantalizing packages unopened shows great restraint on my part. As for those gorgeous saris,hmmmmmm
M.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miguel,

Please give the rug to my dad as a gift. Thank you.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Miguel V said...

You know Malcom, you and most of the folks of your demographic would really dig India, the nationwide "open pooping" policy is really in tune with your lifestyle...

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home